The Middletown planning board has just approved a proposal from Life Time, the folks behind six other massive N.J. fitness clubs.
The Monmouth County location will consist of a 120,000-square-foot building with a ground-level beach club and is expected to open in late 2021 on Half Mile Road.
Life Time operates 147 clubs around the country, including locations in Bridgewater, Montvale, Berkeley Heights, Florham Park, Mount Laurel and Princeton. The first location opened in Florham Park in 2008.
Life Time bills itself as “a premier healthy lifestyle company that delivers a comprehensive healthy living, healthy aging and healthy entertainment experience that goes well beyond fitness to encompass the entire spectrum of daily life for individuals, couples and families of all ages.”
And so, they shun the “gym” label.
“One thing we are not is a gym, as I think you’ll notice in the images,” says Life Time spokesperson Natalie Bushaw. “What we hear often from members is we’re ‘today’s modern country club without the golf.’”
The new location will include:
• Three floors with a ground-level outdoor beach club and bistro with leisure and lap pools, a whirlpool, resort-style seating and cafe
• 4-level parking garage
• Dedicated space and studios for exclusive group fitness, cycle, yoga and Pilates programming; one-on-one personal training and small group GTX and Alpha Training
• More than 400 pieces of cardiovascular and resistance training equipment
• A full-size basketball court
• A dedicated Kids Academy, for kids ages three months to 11
• LifeCafe, a nutrition-focused, fast-casual restaurant featuring a full menu, Meals to Go and grab-and-go assortments, along with Peet’s coffee and proprietary nutritional supplements
• LifeSpa, a full-service salon and spa for hair, body and nails
• Luxurious dressing rooms with whirlpools, saunas, steam rooms and complimentary towels and lockers
The project is expected to total $40 million, and Life Time plans to create 250-plus new full and part-time jobs.
For a peek at what this location will look like, check out these photos from their latest opening in Bridgewater: