Parents can help children learn to be aware of what they eat by developing healthy eating habits, looking for ways to make favorite dishes healthier and reducing calorie-rich temptations. One part of balancing calories is to eat foods that provide adequate nutrition and an appropriate number of calories.
There’s no great secret to healthy eating. To help your children and family develop healthy eating habits:
• Provide plenty of vegetables, fruits and whole-grain products.
• Include lowfat or nonfat milk or dairy products.
• Choose lean meats, poultry, fish, lentils and beans for protein.
• Serve reasonably sized portions.
• Encourage your family to drink lots of water.
• Limit sugar-sweetened beverages.
• Limit consumption of sugar and saturated fat.
Remember that small changes every day can lead to a recipe for success!
For more information, contact Claudann Jones, Smith County Extension agent for family and community health, at 903-590-2980 or email at email@example.com. Like our Facebook page: Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service Smith County.